Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 6: Roadmap into the industry

So it's Day 6 and I'm enjoying writing these posts as I finally feel movement on my writing journey; energy every day after having worked a full day as an editor/writer.

When I'm taking a writing or production class it's easy. It's like being on a cruise--I'm with people who are having fun. Every day I visit a new port where I enjoy incredible experiences that touch every sense; when I arrive back at the cabin I find a newsletter on the freshly made bed. Inside is a brand new itinerary filled with a list of upcoming parties and excursions to marvelous places, so many choices! Then the cruise is over. The next day I experience an extreme letdown, where's the newsletter; there's no newsletter, what should I do? I want a cruise director/party planner in my private life.

I'm talking with friends who want to write fiction; we plan to read books assigned in fiction writing courses, studying how authors capture voice, place, movement of time. I'll share what we're reading and what we've learned in future posts.

And one of my favorite websites for inspiration is Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop.com

In the archives is a newsletter about film and studying film. Here's the link:

http://bit.ly/iOR0kf

I love Gwyneth's honesty. She begins the issue:

"I’m not one of those film people who can tell you who the cinematographer was on On The Waterfront or who most influenced Truffaut. When it comes to knowledge of film history, I’m semi-rubbish (a friend of mine once left the dinner table when I admitted I had never seen one of the most famous and most well-regarded films of all time)."

Gwyneth asked five director friends to list their must-see films, included their answers in the issue. For inspiration and fuel for the journey I plan to watch, enjoy, and study them all, hopefully with friends. What an amazing resource. Thank you, Gwyneth!




No comments:

Post a Comment